Mentoring, Critical Friend and Training
Claire Adler can:
- Advise museums and community groups on best practice in museum and heritage learning through mentoring, reports, publications and training.
- Work with museums and community groups as their Critical Friend to question why and how they are developing their projects. This has included delivering training when appropriate and creating appropriate connections.
- Give presentations to museums, agencies and relevant organisations on any aspect of my work, particularly developing successful projects with new audiences and writing successful HLF Activity Plans.
- Develop training sessions on specific issues, and work with all the speakers to ensure their talks are appropriate.
- Research issues and present back findings through reports and discussion groups.
I have developed a number of workshops that can be adapted to meet your organisations needs:
- Researching and writing a National Lottery Heritage Fund (NKLHF) Activity Plan
- Knowing and growing your audiences to achieve NHLF funding
- Running successful and meaningful Focus Groups
- How to deliver successful and meaningful consultation
- Decolonisation and your museum
Please contact me if you would like one of these workshops or you have another idea that you think I can help with.
I have been an Expert Adviser for Access and Learning for the National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF), formally Heritage Lottery Fund, since 2004. I assess Stage 1 and 2 from small community based projects to multi-million pound redevelopments of National Museums and Art Galleries.
I am a Mentor and Monitor for the NLHF and have mentored and monitored a wide variety of projects to ensure that they are making the most of all of their resources and opportunities, including National Maritime Museum, Bolsover New Villlage, Gressenhall Workhouse and Museum and the Centre for Indian Classical Dance's Oral History Project.
Mentor for Round 1 and Round 2 NLHF application St Leanord's Church, Flamstead, Bedfordshire.
Mentor to an 18 year old as part of the London Transport Museum's Young Freelancer programme
Delivered training day on 'Knowing and growing your audiences to achieve NLHF funding' for the Association of Pall Mall Libraries.
Critical Friend for the South London Gallery, to help them deliver a successful Activty Plan as part of their Round 2 HLF project.
Critical Friend for Headway, NHS Trust, to develop a successful oral history project about the history of the treatment of people with head injuries and the history of Headway's current site.
Delivering training and mentoring for SHARE East on co-creating Community Cabinets for a cross-section of volunteer, local authority and independent museums.
Critical Friend for Hackney Museum in the successful development and delivery of their second stage HLF bid for the Cultural Olympiad.
Organised and delivered conference for museum professionals and ESOL providers on 'Engaging Migrant Workers through Museums'
Researched and wrote advocacy document about ‘What museums across the UK are doing to engage BAME and C2DE audiences through their permanent displays’ for the Natural History Museum.
Delivered a number of talks for Museums Association, Group for Education in Museums, MLAs and local museums on various aspects of my work.